Friday 6 December 2013

Totakashtakam

Meaning:

Viditākhilaśāstrasudhājaladhe 
Mahitopaniṣatkathitārthanidhe .
Hṛdaye kalaye vimalaṃ caraṇaṁ 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..1..

O one who has obtained the nectar-ocean of all the shastras! O treasure of the great wealth of the Upanishad! I worship your pure feet in my heart. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Karuṇāvaruṇālaya pālaya māṁ 
Bhavasāgaraduḥkhavidūnahṛdam .
Racayākhiladarśanatattvavidaṁ 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..2..

O ocean of mercy! Protect me whose heart is afflicted by the pain of samsara and  make me learned in the meaning of all the philosophies. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Bhavatā janatā suhitā bhavitā 
Nijabodhavicāraṇa cārumate .
Kalayeśvara jīvavivekavidaṁ
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..3..

The common people have been enlightened by you. O one who meditates upon the Self! O one with a beautiful mind! Make me learned in the knowledge of God and living-beings. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Bhava eva bhavāniti me nitarāṁ 
Samajāyata cetasi kautukitā .
Mama vāraya mohamahājaladhiṁ
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..4..

I have always had a doubt whether you are Shiva and thinking of this my mind is curious. Please clear my immense ocean of delusion. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Sukrite’dhikrite bahudhā bhavato 
Bhavitā samadarśanalālasatā .
Atidīnamimaṁ paripālaya māṁ 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..5..

When numerous virtues have been accomplished by You, a desire to achieve indifference emerges. Protect me as I am very poor. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Jagatīmavituṁ kalitākṛtayo 
Vicaranti mahāmahasaśchalataḥ .
Ahimāṃśurivātra vibhāsi guro 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..6..

To save the world many wise men roam the earth after taking a human form. You shine like the sun among them. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Gurupuṅgava puṅgavaketana te 
Samatāmayatāṁ nahi ko’pi sudhīḥ .
Śaraṇāgatavatsala tattvanidhe 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..7..

O best of Gurus! O bearer of the flag with the insignia of a bull! There is no wise man to equal you. O giver of refuge! O one who knows the truth! O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.

Viditā na mayā viśadaikakalā 
Na ca kiñcana kāñcanamasti guro .
Drutameva vidhehi kṛpāṁ sahajāṁ 
Bhava śaṅkara deśika me śaraṇam ..8..

Neither have I understood any branch of science in detail, nor do I have any wealth with me. Bestow upon me your compassion, which comes naturally to you. O Teacher Shankara! Be my refuge.


This hymn was composed by Totakacharaya in praise of his Guru, Adi Shankara.

Notes:

  This hymn has an interesting story behind it. There used to be a student of Adi Shankara called Giri. He was very devoted and hard-working but was also very dull in studies. One day he had gone to the riverbank to wash the master's clothes. Adi Shankara did not start his morning class that day even though the other students were assembled, and waited for Giri to come back. 

  One of the Guru's senior disciples, Padmapada, asked the Guru as to why the class had been delayed. Adi Shankara replied that he was waiting for Giri to start his lesson. On hearing this, Padmapada commented-" O Revered one, why do you waste time teaching Giri? Teaching him is as good as teaching a wall." The master smiled.

  Adi Shankara had always admired Giri, so he mentally transferred his knowledge to Giri. Overwhelmed with gratitude, Giri came running to the master, fell at his feet, and composed these verses spontaneously in praise of him. The verses he composed were set to the Totaka meter and this earned him the name Totaka. Due to his erudition, he was referred to as Totakacharya.

3 comments:

  1. Had made an effort to translate Totastakam verses into Hindi. Considering my Hindi vocabulary it may not be very good but have given it an honest effort for a few online friends who were lacking to understand in Sanskrit/English. Where can I post it to share with others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the brightness of SUN all other
    Bright things get submerged like that
    In the presence of Guru Shankara all
    Other Mahana get submerged.
    In kamba Ramayanam the tamil poet Kamban says while lord Rama was walking the Sun light falling on Him
    Gets submerged
    He says. "VEIYYON OLI THAN Meniyin
    Viri Jothiyil Marainthda....
    Seshachalam. G. 81

    ReplyDelete